General Insurance Issues

Complaints against insurers – whether the policy is for life insurance, motor vehicles, home and contents, any type of insurance, can be initiated through the Commonwealth Financial Ombudsman Service. Of course, it is best to contact your financial service provider – i.e. your insurer first, before initiating a complaint with the Ombudsman. If you want to lodge a dispute, simply go to the Financial Services Ombudsman website

Insurance Broker Complaints

There is an insurance broker dispute facility which provides clients of life and general brokers with free advice and assistance where they are unable to get a satisfactory response from their broker. See the online complaint service

Australian Prudential Regulatory Authority (APRA)

This is a statutory authority which is the prudential regulator of banks, insurance companies and superannuation funds. See the APRA website for more information.

Private Health Insurance

Complaints regarding private health insurance providers should be directed to the relevant ombudsman.

© 2013 Hobart Community Legal ServiceFeedbackDisclaimer