Should two or more incorporated associations wish to join together they can ‘amalgamate’ into the one incorporated association.

To do this each of the associations must pass special resolutions stating the terms of the amalgamation and adopting the new objects and rules of the amalgamated association.

Where two or more associations pass special resolutions for the amalgamation of those associations, the public officer of each association must lodge with the Commissioner notice in the prescribed form of the passing of the resolution, and of the name of the association to be created by the amalgamation.

It is possible for an incorporated association to change its incorporation and become either a company or a registered cooperative. However, legal assistance may be required for this change.

© 2013 Hobart Community Legal ServiceFeedbackDisclaimer