Aged care, like most health care, falls into the two categories of private and public practice. Complaints about aged care should first be directed to the service provider, and failing resolution by this means, complaints about public health aged care can be directed to the relevant public department. At the moment, this is the federal Department of Health. Under the new Liberal government, responsibility for Ageing is moving to the new Department of Social Services.

The current Aged Care Complaints Scheme has a hotline: 1800 550 552, contactable between the hours of 8:30am and 5:00pm weekdays and 10:00am and 5:00pm weekends and public holidays. The Aged Care Complaints Scheme website also provides helpful information.

Complaints about private providers of aged care services can be directed to the Office of the Health Complaints Commissioner (OHCC) if the complaint concerns a Tasmania-located provider. For information on the complaints procedure through the OHCC, see below.

© 2013 Hobart Community Legal ServiceFeedbackDisclaimer